Tuesday, August 22, 2017

I KNOW

The headline for the daily mail asks where the fallout crackers went. I know. On a ship very much like the one in the masthead of this magnificent blog, I found the XO, who was notoriously prone to sea sickness, sitting in the wardroom while we were underway heading to Canada in a Force 9 blow. The waves were beating the ship pretty badly and by the end of day, when I took the watch as OOD, stuff was getting torn off the ship by the waves.

However, this is an XO story and so, let us pick up the thread of our earlier conversation where we came across the XO sitting in the wardroom eating something that looked very much like a saltine cracker from a plastic looking envelope of them. They looked like the ones I found in the Fall Out shelter I made my way into in Newport, RI long ago. They had that vintage look to them. They also had little black bugs.

Todd and I left the wardroom without mentioning the bugs the XO was eating while trying to keep down yesterday's breakfast. We did, however, laugh about it. It became a treasured memory alongside the skipper demanding to know over the 1MC, who had peed in his coffee cup up on the bridge and assuring the ship's company that there would never ever be liberty call again until the miscreant confessed. I was sitting in Damage Control Central at the time (AKA wardroom) and my DCA turned to me and said, "I did it 10 days ago when we pulled in to BASREC."

We didn't like that skipper, a lot.

2 comments:

OldAFSarge said...

Hahaha!

Priceless!

HMS Defiant said...

Yea, about 8 years later I had to share my office trailer at NAVCENT with him for a couple of weeks when he came back as the MCM commodore. It was icy polite we were to each other.